Monday, January 24, 2011

A Bit Slack...

Sorry to not have posted for an age! There's been so much going on here and I have so little time left... But alas, finally here is one!

So I think we left off still in the holidays... Well the rest of the days for me were pretty quiet, just hanging around, working on my history project. And Chrissi left on the Friday (January 8th) so that was really sad... :/ She was the first person that I had to say goodbye to!

Then was the first week back at school... It wasn't that great, I was having sleeping problems, Constanze was sick and she still hadn't received her host family... But more about that later... I managed to present my history project (albeit a couple of days later due to oversleeping...) and I thought it went quite well. It wasn't error free or anything, but my history teacher said that I'd get a good grade from him so I was pleased about that!

Constanze left on the Friday... It was quite sad really, now I'm alone in the house! Well, with Barbara and Rudolf of course, but still. I've been catching up with Conny quite a bit though which has been nice. :) But so Constanze was getting really nervous, Thursday morning she still hadn't received her host family and she was supposed to be flying the next morning... They told her that if she hadn't got it by 6 that night then she wouldn't be going until a few days later. Apparently they had the family and everything, but Americans are so bureaucratic that they couldn't tell her the family until they'd done all these accepting processy things... Plain stupid if you ask me. So it gets to 6 and the guy from AFS doesn't call... Time keeps going... He finally calls at 8.30, tells her she's not going to Michigan like she thought, but instead to South Carolina. And no, they still haven't been able to send the host family information. GR! Poor Constanze, I mean I thought that it really was too much to expect her to take. In the end, AFS did send her the family info at like 10pm the night before, so you know, only 6 hours before she had to be at the airport... No pressure... I think what helped was seeing the host family information and then her host mum called and talked to Barbara for about half an hour so she felt happier about going. But I found it really extreme timing.

But anyways, the next night I was off to a ball (it's crazy here, some girls in my class asked me if I wanted to come to a ball on Thursday, got tickets and everything and it was on the Saturday night! Slightly different to in NZ...) with some girls from my year and I had a really good time. It was at a school which was a 10 minute walk from where I live so I walked there and back with Julia, a girl who lives like a street away from me and Lea who was staying at her house. I'm pretty sure that no one just walked to the WGC ball... I think I'm definitely going to miss this sort of thing!

Then on Monday we had the AFS Stammtisch and it was really cool like always, but also sad... And kinda funny... Nick brought a flag with him so that everyone could sign it and, of course, sharpies to sign it with. What we didn't realize, was that signing it on the table wasn't really a good idea... So after half an hour and lots of soap, toilet paper and finally Nick's version of a belt sander (coasters and salt...) we managed to get it all off! It was however, sad saying goodbye to some people that I'll probably never see again... Of course it's a part of the life that I chose, choosing to come here, but it is still sad meeting all these great people and having to say goodbye... :(

On Tuesday I hung out with this other AFS guy and we did some German practice, shopping etc... Then Wednesday was dance course again. Only 4 guys, what a joke! And you'd think, when only 4 guys turn up but 13 girls, some of the girls would dance with each other so that you're not all sitting down... But apparently my dance teacher would rather that 9 of us sit down and twiddle our thumbs rather than dancing! Crazy... Still a good laugh though.

Then Thursday was really cool, I went to a musical with Conny-"Tanz der Vampire" (dance of the vampires). It was so well done, all the usher type people were wearing capes, the music was all spooky... The actors would roam up and down the aisles whilst coming in and out and one time there was a whole procession of them and they all turned and scared the people sitting opposite them! Quite a laugh really. And the singing and costumes were totally amazing, it was so cool.

Then Friday I went and stayed at Anna's and met her new family. They were really nice but the dog was slightly scary... He was like really big and would always jump up... I must say, I do think I prefer Fergus, the little fox terrier next door in NZ! But we had a laugh, like we always do and stayed up ages talking... Plus figured out a hairstyle for my ball next weekend and I did her hair for her ball last night!

So, a lot has been happening and I'm pretty sure it's only going to get more chaotic in these last 2 and a half weeks... Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment