Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nearly Two Months!

Wow. It's been so long already, but then again I can still remember the flight and arriving and everything after that. I'm sorry to break my pattern and write this on a Monday, but there was a party last night for Halloween and I have the rest of the week off school, so I thought I better include it!

So Monday was school again, no volleyball, so fairly normal. Then Tuesday was a great day because I didn't have any school! I met up with Anna, unfortunately very early... But it took us ages to find each other because of my crappy sense of direction (more on that later) and the fact that we were both talking about different places... But in the end it was all okay! We met up and went to her host brother's place and then went to the military parade. The reason we all had the day off was because the 26th is a national holiday, the day the last Russian soldier left Austria, so they have a military parade and demonstrations to celebrate the day. So we went and watched that and had a walk around the centre of Vienna and then caught the train out to the suburbs of Vienna for lunch at this cool pizza place that Anna's host brother knew. It was a good day.

Then Wednesday was dance school again and the package from mum came with my new dance shoes and a NZ t-shirt which was really cool. So I didn't get yelled at by the strict teacher, yay! But it was actually pretty cool, I danced with one of the instructor guys which was actually really nerve-wracking because I was really scared about making a mistake! I don't think I messed up too badly which was good... And then I danced with this other guy, who it turns out my host family know because he's the son of their dentist. Like really, everyone knows everyone!

Then on Friday it was my host sister's birthday and also a girl from AFS, Ana Maria's. Nick ended up coming with me to both, and it was quite funny at my host sister's because we pretty much just mocked each other the whole time, as NZers do, and I realized that is something I miss. People always knowing that you're only joking and sarcasm being the main form of communication. But anyway, then we moved onto Ana Maria's party, but thanks to my aforementioned terrible sense of direction we ended up catching the underground and walking around for about an hour in Vienna before finding it. Luckily he has a lot of patience and that we found a lot of things to talk about! I had pretty much given up all hope of ever finding the place and then suddenly it was just down the street and we ended up making it for like 45 mins before we had to go again... But hey, Camille taught us both a simple salsa in that time and it was good fun to do some normal dancing!

The next day I met Constanze at her school, I was actually quite proud of myself because it was slightly complicated and quite a long way from where Conny lives (Constanze and I both stayed the night at Conny's place because she had school the next day and I was going to go and meet her for English class) and I managed to get right outside the school building before getting lost, so it was all okay! They talked about To Kill a Mockingbird which was good because I had to read the book last year for English. It's quite impressive really, we read that book last year and Constanze is the year behind me in school, so they're reading it and studying it even though English is their second language... Then after the lesson I went to the two major shopping streets in Vienna to get a costume for the Halloween party on Sunday night, a present for Conny and to have a look for a dress for the ball. I managed to do all three and ended up buying a dress for the ball (Anna's on Saturday) and it looks really cool! Whilst I was going from one of the main streets to the next with the underground, I heard these two American women behind me, saying something about how they weren't sure with which underground they needed to go in order to get back to their hotel. I thought, seeing as I speak perfect English, I would help them, so I turned around and asked them if they needed help and they assured me that they always needed help and it turned out they were going the same place as me so I went with them. It was really interesting talking to them actually, and when we'd figured out where they needed to go, one asked me, "where did you learn such good English?" I had to try very hard not to burst out laughing and told them that I'm actually not Austrian but from New Zealand and am on exchange here. I found out that they were from Seattle which was cool because that's where my grandparents used to live so I knew a bit about it and we talked about Europe and America and New Zealand and it was really cool being the one who actually knew the city.

Then on Sunday I slept for ages and then just read and things before going to the Halloween party on Sunday night. I went as a fallen angel with a black dress, wings and horns. It was actually really good, at first when I walked in I didn't recognize anyone there and got a bit worried, but it turned out we had a room at the back that I hadn't seen before and luckily there were lots of people I knew there! It was cool to hang out and relax, speak German and socialize and we played this funny dare game as well. And then there were some people there that I hadn't seen since shortly after I arrived from the first party I went to, and they commented on how good my German had become since then and it was a good night. The only thing was that I stunk of smoke when I came out because it wasn't non-smoking so everyone was just lighting up. It didn't bother me at the time, but then when I went outside and realized that my clothes didn't smell very nice that wasn't so good! But you know, it's Europe!

So all in all a good week and now I have a week of no school to look forward to, yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment