Monday, October 25, 2010

AFS Adventures

This week was a good week, things to do but not too crazy busy! On Monday I started volleyball which was really cool. It's something I can actually do. Well. So it gave me a bit of confidence and it was really fun to start playing more sport. But I talked to Constanze and Barbara and some other family friends today and they were saying here, you don't really play against other schools... Or have any sort of real competition... You basically train every week and play against each other... Without competition? Now, for Austrian school kids here, that probably seems totally normal. And any who are reading my blog are probably thinking, "well why do you need competition?". But, as a reasonably sporty, typical New Zealand girl I'm thinking... ARE YOU MAD? Perhaps we can be a little too competitive sometimes... But, you know, being raised the way I was I don't really see the point of practising if you're not going to use the skills to CRUSH THE OPPONENTS. Hm. Maybe we shall leave that... But after volleyball we had an AFS "Stammtisch". It was kinda like a chapter meeting but with people from anywhere in Austria, so better. There were so many people and we went to a bar and all talked and everything. It was great. And of course, Nick and I, being the typical Kiwis, decided the food was too expensive, so went to Maccas for a feed and then came back!


Then Wednesday we went to an exhibition of my host-father's in Oberösterreich because it's going to close soon and otherwise I wouldn't get to see it. It was pretty cool, we went with Chrissi and Conny and it was nice to spend the day with them as well. It was really long though, about 5-6 driving altogether to get there and back and then I had dancing that night... It was fun, but really tiring!


On Thursday nothing really special happened, except Physics and gym were cancelled so I only had 5 classes. That was good. Gym gets cancelled a lot... We've only had it like twice and I've been here for 7 weeks, so it's kinda strange! Apparently the girls really don't like having it... Or playing sports really... Could explain the lack of competition...


Then on Friday I made cupcakes which turned out really well. Very yummy. And Saturday I studied for my French test on Wednesday... (Something I can actually study for!) Then today we went to the youth church service thing... I'm not entirely sure what the name is for the equivalent to mass for evangelical people in English... But yeah, it was pretty cool, although I couldn't understand a lot and I had to get up early... But still!


So, this week I have the day off on Tuesday-yay! Hopefully time to catch up on sleep... Be back next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment