Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Latest Week of Crazy

Where to begin? Well. Last Monday I was sick, a bit of sich übergeben (it sounds better in German...), but that wasn't all bad because I got to Skype my family which was nice. Then on Wednesday this girl from my French class who lives down my street gave me a lift to school on her moped. First time on a moped. Pretty awesome! Slightly scary at the same time, but she was a good driver so it was okay... Then the next day I thought that handball was supposed to be starting, so I got all ready and went down to the dance school early with my neighbour (on his moped too, so many mopeds!) and signed up for that (starts tomorrow, yay!) and then he took me back to school so I wouldn't be late, only to find that they had changed it that day and handball doesn't start until next week. Very annoying!


But then the next day was Friday. The day of my second AFS arrival camp. We had a "practice" fire alarm at school. That everyone knew about. My teacher even knew the exact time. Maybe slightly pointless when trying to practise for a real fire? But anyway, after that we could go which was good because it meant I could eat before catching the train. I managed to meet all the other AFSers okay at the Westbahnhof and from there we all went in the bus to St. Pölten. All the AFSers around that area got on in St. Pölten, which included Anna. I swear, my smile was so huge when I saw her. It was just so good, after a month to finally see her again! Unfortunately we weren't in the same room again, but I was with two Luisas from Spain and Italy and a Hannah from Belgium Flanders. We all spoke in German to each other because it was just easier, so that was actually quite good to stay with them. The only bad thing about our room was the shower. So um, I went to the loo which was, quite rightly, in it's own little room, and I thought, "well that's strange, where's the shower?" So I go back out, and the shower is facing the beds. With a glass door. I'm not even joking. And yes, it was one of those ones that has patterns on it and stuff so it's not like completely see-through, but still. You can totally see the outline of the body and everything. Major design flaw? I think so... So yeah, one of the most awkward showers of my life I think... And apparently ours was the only room that had it! Like seriously, what is with a shower facing the beds?!


But anyway, the next day was Saturday, and we started off with breakfast together and then into groups to do lots of talking about how things were going in our families and communication and language, things that happen in the first month that you don't get to talk about at the first arrival camp. Then they told us we were going to go for a walk. I thought, okay you know it'll be just to stretch our legs and get a bit of fresh air. Then they told us it was to the top of a mountain. I totally thought that they were kidding. But no, we walked all the way to the top of a mountain which was over 1300 meters and very steep and I only had street shoes so it was rather strenuous on the old calf muscles! That was definitely a challenge and I am very glad I made it to the top! Turns out you should really believe what people say. What I thought was a stroll was a 4 hour walk. Go figure! That night, due to some absurd idea of Mateo's (a guy from Uruguay), we had a teeth cleaning party. Very interesting... Although that actually only lasted about half an hour and then we all just chilled and played games which was cool.


Then Sunday consisted of more talking and games which was cool, and a lot more relaxing than Saturday and then it was all over too soon and time to go home! It was really sad, because it is great hanging out with the AFS people. We all get along really well and we're all sharing similar experiences which makes it really easy to bond. Although we're meant to have friends outside AFS, which is completely understandable seeing as we're here to immerse ourselves in Austrian culture, it is great to hang out with AFSers sometimes and be able to understand what the other people are feeling.


Sunday night here wasn't great, Hayden and I ended up breaking up. It really just wasn't working because the distance meant that we couldn't really solve our problems and so we both decided it was best to end things. And while I'm sad now, I know that it was for the best and that I'm still going to have an amazing time here because it's a once in a lifetime opportunity! :)


On Monday afternoon my music class was cancelled so I went shopping with Anna for a bit of retail therapy and we also went to McDonalds for lunch. They still have mcflurries here! It was awesome. Except when I saw that there was a downstairs so I was like to Anna, "oh let's eat down there". So we walk over and start going down the stairs, with our food, only to realize that downstairs are the toilets... AWKWARD. People must've thought we were such weirdos... But it was good to talk and then that night we went to the Staatsoper to see the "Pique Dame". It was amazing, so different than I thought but so fantastic. And plus, there were little screens in front of you that you could have either in English or German so I understood the whole thing! We went to the Sacher Hotel afterwards and Anna's host mother took us for a drink which was nice. When I went home I went down to the wrong U-Bahn though and ended up missing the one I was supposed to catch and then subsequently the earlier train so I didn't end up getting home till quite late and now I'm very tired today!


But it was a good weekend on camp and I really enjoyed seeing Anna and the others again and hopefully we'll all be catching up soon!


Tschau!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, loved this week's instalment! Good to see you are getting a cultural education as well by going to the opera!So how was it watching an Italian opera, in a German speaking country, translated into English - confusing? Have you started dreaming in German yet?
    Love you
    Dad

    ReplyDelete