Monday, October 18, 2010

The Coldness Looms...

So, as the title suggests, it was relatively cold this week! Every week the temperature just drops more and more... I'm a little nervous about where it'll stop, I think I shall become a walking marshmallow this winter...

Well, on Monday I was sick again. I think it's the fact of being in a new place and not being immune to the bugs. Probably kinda like how first year teachers get more sick days than other teachers... All the new diseases... Oh well, I'll take a concrete pill as we NZers say! It was only sore throat and then a cold after all. So then on Tuesday I was feeling well enough to go to school and afterschool I went shopping with Constanze to the SCS (it's the biggest mall in Europe. About 15 minutes from where I live. Dangerous? I think so!) and I got a winter coat, which I can see I shall really need and a woollen jersey thing. Also some dance shoes, but that is another story... But we had a fun time and it was quite entertaining trying on all these different, some very strange, clothes!

Then on Wednesday I had dance class again which was cool. We went over the dances we'd learnt, then we learnt a new... Movement I suppose? For the boogie. It was a turn step thing which people seemed to find very difficult... I ended up dancing with the same guy for the whole night because no one came to "cut in" which is what we have to do because we have so many more girls than boys. It's a good thing he was nice and also I think we probably learnt the dance the best because we had to repeat it so many times! Haha. But then, it was so annoying, my dance teacher picked on me, even though about a third of the other girls had the same sort of shoes as me, she said that the heels on mine are too thin and I might slip so I have to get new ones. I explained to her after the class (I was quite impressed actually, because it's quite difficult to explain calmly in German!) that I am exchange student, and therefore do not have the money to go around buying new shoes all the time. But she just said I have to find a solution to the problem. GR! But I think I have one. Street shoes and jeans to my next class all the way. :P

Then on Thursday I did some baking (some nice cookies I found on the internet) and then that night I had handball for the first time. And I actually wasn't too bad! I think they probably thought my style of playing was slightly weird, because it was quite netball influenced. I still can't get used to moving my feet whilst holding a ball in my hands. At one point I nearly fell over trying to keep my feet in one place and then realized that actually wasn't necessary... It was fun though, and so good to play sport again. I didn't realize how much I was missing it, which I think will be good to also start volleyball here which is something that I actually know how to play... But, as I know she will reading this at some point, a big thank you to Chrissi for explaining the rules to me, I think without that I would have been very much like a fish out of water. Or, more so.

Then the next day was Friday. I thought it was just going to be a relatively normal day, go home have lunch do homework and such, but I get a text from a random number saying: so, we're meeting at 4pm today at Prater station. At first I thought it was a wrong number, but it turned out to be Flore, an AFS girl from French Belgium and apparently there was a Facebook invite but I missed it. So, after a bit of confusion, I managed to talk to Anna and we met up and went to Prater station together and met up with heaps of people from AFS Niederösterreich and went to Prater which is this awesome as amusement park in Vienna. We had a great time laughing and joking and doing some of the rides. I didn't end up doing too many because I didn't listen to Anna's advice and did the horrible spinny every which way ride first and didn't feel so good after that! But it was okay, and I texted Nick as well and he came and met us there which was really cool because we hadn't seen him since arrival camp. I've found here that sometimes the rushed plans are the best ones, and Friday ended up being a great afternoon!

Then this weekend I didn't do too much, did some homework, talked to my family and generally just hung out which was nice.

Oh, and this week I also started doing 8th year (so equivalent to 7th Form or Year 13) french classes instead of a couple of science lessons, because I'm pretty sure it'll benefit me more! And although it was a bit weird walking in the first time and feeling like everyone was staring at me, it was really good because I was actually learning something and the lesson was really interesting.

So on the whole a pretty good week but now I have to go and do some French homework. Bisous!

1 comment:

  1. Loquat is for cough and lung in Chinese medicine. Sometimes i would take the Ninjiom Pei Pa Koa which is an extract of loquat when got sore throat.

    You can access info online @
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
    ninjiom.50webs.com

    ReplyDelete