Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 5 Already!

I can't believe I've been here for so long already! I can still remember the flight and how tired we all were, and then the camp where we all were first introduced to the Austrian culture... But hm, this week was relatively normal (well, the rest of the week). Except I started dance school! As in ballroom dancing. OMG it was so cool. It started off with a bit of an introduction, talking about what we should wear etc. I was the only girl who didn't have high heels. Seriously. I mean, I knew I needed to get some, but I figured for the first lesson it'd be okay... Apparently not! So guess what I'm doing this week? And then we all have to wear either a skirt, dress or nice pants (no jeans) and the boys were all wearing suits. I couldn't believe it. It's hard enough to get a guy into a suit in New Zealand for a ball, let alone dance class! I thought that was really cool. So we did the foxtrot, boogie and "party dance". We started off learning on opposite sides of the room, and then you danced with the person opposite you (we did this twice because there were 15 more girls than boys...) and then the girls who went second had to "cut in". Quite funny. So the first time I was in the first group, but the second time I had to choose. And I actually went with my neighbour, so I was like okay cool I'll just go with him, but these girls are fast man! Someone else got to him first, so I went with this other guy (who, it turns out, is the son of my host family's vet - small world here!) who's name was Vali and he was actually a very good dancer, so that turned out well!

Then on Friday it was quite exciting because I got a sheet from my Klassenvorstand (like form teacher) with a list of all the first year (so 10 year old) German classes I can go to, and also eighth year (the last year of school) French classes that I can go to. This is instead of my class's German and also a couple of science lessons, because let's face it. I'm never going to be a scientist. Also I think the French will be good so that I won't fall behind back home. And hopefully it'll improve my German too! Although going to German classes with 10 year olds should also do that...

Then on Saturday I went for a walk with my host parents through the Wienerwald (a big forest with lots of hills and, well, trees, that's 5 minutes from my house) and to the Husarentempel. That was really cool because I did a presentation on Mödling in German before I came here, so I'd seen it on Wikipedia and it was amazing seeing it in real life! And it wasn't too strenuous, certainly not as bad as last weekend! Then today I went to Belvedere Palace with my host mum which was so awesome. It's massive and beautiful and so OLD! I know that's kind of obvious, but the monuments here really aren't like anything you've seen before, they're just incomparable to New Zealand. Then we came home and had duck for lunch (see mum and dad? I am trying new things! I also eat salad with dressings here. Just so you know) and then my host parents and Constanze had their dance school so I had a good talk with Chrissi (the best stalker in the world!) about psychology because she's doing a study on children for uni atm.

So yeah, when I think about it, actually quite an exciting week! Hopefully I can match it this week as well... Be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment